Fr. Nathan O’Halloran teaches how we each have a lie that the devil tailors to us individually. The enemy has been studying us since we were in the womb, and he has the perfect lie that we actually believe. “Of course that’s true,” we say when we hear it.
What is your Lie?
Some common lies people believe:
- You’re not good enough and never will be
- You’re worth what you produce
- You’re stupid
- You’re ugly
- Your forehead, nose, body is wrong
- God can’t really love you
- Your past is never really past
- The right guy/girl will never come
- You’re only worth anything if X loves you
- You can never be free of anxiety
- You’ll be alone unless you manipulate others to love you
- God is not enough for me
We need to ask the Holy Spirit to show us our lie. Because if we don’t know our lie, we believe it to be true and then we act on it. It’s going to somehow be connected to your greatest weakness.
- Come Holy Spirit
- When have I listened to my Lie today?
- What is the Truth that sets me free from my Lie? (Do I need to tweak how I understand my Lie?)
- Hail Holy Queen; Anima Christi; Our Father
If I have really identified the core lie of my current sinfulness, then every day I’ll find 2 or 3 times when I have listened to it and acted on it. And then I ask the Lord, “What is the truth that will set me free?” So instead of listening to the lie, I hear God’s truth.