Set your minds on things that are above,
not on things that are on earth
~ Colossians 3:2
When my son, Joshua, was getting married, he took his groomsmen up Mount Rainier instead of having a bachelor’s party. It took them 3 days to do the climb. It was especially difficult for my nephew, Michael. But he was determined to make it to the top, and he did.
As I was hearing their stories about the climb, I thought how it was a good parable for us. Scripture tells us to set our minds on heaven. And that should affect all of our decisions.
- This journey of life is not easy. It’s a hard, tough climb.
- We need to make a firm decision that we want to go to heaven.
- Once we set our sights on heaven, the enemy is going to attack us and try to discourage us.
- But we are surrounded by a cloud of witnesses. We are not alone. Saints who have finished the climb are cheering us on.
- Jesus won the victory and is with us all the way.
- Colossians 3:1-3
- Hebrews 12:1-2
- Philippians 2:10-11